Monday, December 29, 2008

After the first lesson

Every other day the kids come to our house to present us the pictures they have taken the day before. We all sit in the living room and go through a selection of the photos on the projector. I explain to them what is good in the pictures and tell them what they have to be careful about the next time they „shoot“. Ariyadhamma functions as my translator. I`m very surprised how concentrated the kids are listening and what kind of discussions they have. When I ask them what the think is good about a certain photograph or what could be done better some of them always know the rigth answer after thinking about it very hard for a few seconds. Then they are very, very proud and happy.
We also laugh a lot together. They about my not existing singhala language skills and their photos and me about the happy kids and their jokes.
But they take the project very seriously as well. Sometimes when I go through Telwatta at 7 o`clock in the morning I can see some of them already taking pictures somewhere.

I give the boys a new exercise for the next few days every time we meet. Rigth now I want them to learn about portrait photography. Here you can see what happens if you tell some boys with cameras: „find some nice people and take nice pictures of them!“.
First I wanted to see what the photos look like if they take them without knowledge about composition and other artistic ideas.













No comments:

Post a Comment